Friday, July 29, 2011

July 28, 2011

Every few weeks I come into contact with an acquaintance who has not yet heard of my injury- the friend-of-a-friend or a professional relation from a job held years ago. Not everyone is connected to the same coconut telegraph.
Yesterday I rolled into my local dive shop for the first time since I hurt myself. I was there to drop off some gear for repair and was making my way to the service counter when I saw a familiar face. Some of the more tenured employees have known me from ten years ago when I was skippering dive boats out of Mission Bay. After I took off my sunglasses the manager did a triple-take before recognizing me. After he picked his jaw up from the floor I explained what had happened. I felt a little bit guilty for throwing my friend such a curve-ball on a Thursday afternoon but found quickly that if I didn't dwell on it, neither would he. We chatted about the dive business a while and it was like old times...and I think I may get a discount on my bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment