Thursday, July 7, 2011

July 7, 2011

I have an opposable thumb! While I can't quite deliver any bone-crushing hand shakes, it is novel to turn the pages of a book with one hand. The ability to grasp small objects between the the thumb and fingers is a distinguishing advantage we primates hold over the rest of the animal kingdom- one that I wholly took for granted before I was injured. although still weak and limited to my right hand, every increase in dexterity is welcome and I hope similar improvements in the left hand will soon follow. Time to ramp-up the electrical stimulation!

Cheers, Berkey

4 comments:

  1. this is AWESOME! I never thought reading the words 'opposable thumb' at the beginning of a blog would be so exciting..this is huge! congrats...i expect you to kick adams butt in thumb wresting. you have a couple weeks to prepare....my money is on you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thumbs up to you too. You are an inspiration to everyone. Keep up the hard work, Dan St.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news Eric! Praying for similar progress with your left hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. im really excited for you man! I'm sure your trying to make as much use out of that thumb as possible! they seem to be used from everything to a use it anywhere coat hanger to a way to plug breeching dams...

    miss you man, im always happy to see your recovery : )

    Warm thoughts,

    Michael

    ReplyDelete