Friday, June 24, 2011

June 24, 2011

Bit by bit the back yard is transforming in to a rehab gym. Some elastic Theraband tied here, a sport-cord hung there and my home training circuit grows. Before my injury I was no gym-rat - the world was my gym. Riding my bicycle for fun as well as for fetching boat parts, hefting SCUBA tanks and 100+ lb dive kits, climbing in, on, and around yachts, running, hiking, and skiing- all these things kept me fit. Alas, those things are off the menu (for now). I am now focused on gym work to build strength in what muscles I can, motivated by the promise of new adventures to come. Building up my triceps is essential to be able to ride a sit-ski next winter. Working on cardio fitness will pay when cranking a hand-cycle around Mission Bay. Hell, just being able to push my wheelchair faster and farther is impetus to pump iron. Regardless of which carrot dangles from the end of the stick, I have plenty of reason to throw in those extra reps and sets.

Cheers,
Berkey

3 comments:

  1. I love everything about this post, and am picturing you at some point putting fat tires on the wheelchair. There are adventures to come for sure....certainly with the berkey attitude of go big or go home. love it. XO janice and adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to hear about the backyard gym. I hope you are doing well and that we'll see each other soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the attitude Expecting to see you doing all those things and more soon. Another friend, Bryan, just lost his legs so maybe your enthusiasm can encourage him too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete