Wednesday, June 1, 2011

May 30, 2011

It had to happen sooner or later- a matter of when, not if. At least I landed on soft grass. The drop from the sidewalk to the turf didn't look like much, but it was enough. As i charged off the concrete walkway the front of my chair dipped, the foot-rests dug in, and I ejected. The grass was mercifully soft and my rescuers Dan and Charlie were only steps away. After a quick assessment we concluded I had not injured myself. They proficiently lifted me, installed me in my chair, and sent me on my merry way. I've experienced plenty of crashes in my life- skis, bikes, cars, and now I can add wheelchair to that list. Another lesson learned: do not drive the wheelchair like it's a mountain bike!

4 comments:

  1. There you go Berkey... testing the limits like old times

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least there was no cactus to land in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eric,

    Just dropping you a note to let you know you are in my daily prayers and that though I don't always comment on your posts, I am reading them and admiring your strength!
    xo,
    Cousin Jacquie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, I love hearing ejection stories! I seem to eject myself about once every three months, no matter how hard I try to avoid those cracks and bumps. We need to get together sometime soon, call me!

    Andrew
    920 475 1966

    ReplyDelete