Sunday, September 4, 2011

September 4, 2011

Go Padres! While San Diego isn't exactly in the running for any title this season, I live here so they're my team. Today, I had the privilege of watching the Padres break a 9-game losing streak when they beat the Rockies 7-2. The combination of a good game, great company (Thank you Jasmyn and Dave!), and a wheelchair-friendly crowd made for an epic Sunday.

Since becoming wheelchair-bound, I have developed an aversion to crowds. Being a few heads shorter than when I was walking, I find myself struggling to blend with the flow of congested foot traffic. Despite copious apologies (both offered and accepted), the frequent near-misses inherent to navigating a crowded venue in a wheelchair can be flustering. But not today!

Doors were opened, paths were cleared, and not one child was run-over. Like Moses parting the Red Sea, I breezed through the crowd incident-free. Petco Park was a most gracious host and I look forward to going back! I hope to soon have the opportunity to test the waters at Qualcomm Stadium- go Chargers!

Cheers, Berkey

No comments:

Post a Comment