Tuesday, February 7, 2012

February 6, 2012

I'm all about the gadgets. I use splints formed of thermoplastic to help me type, a wrist-activated grabber to retrieve items from the ground, and tongs made from a potato chip bag-clip and two paint sticks help me extract surface wipes from their canister. Necessity is the mother of improvisation and as a result I frequently stumble upon new and clever ways to utilize everyday objects. A bungee cord enables me to open a drawer whose handles I cannot grasp. I insert silverware into flexible irrigation pipe because the larger diameter handle is easier for my hand to hold. As a matter of fact, I'm not even typing this blog entry. I'm speaking through Dragon voice-recognition software. Despite the time I spend making corrections, using this dictation program puts text on the screen much more quickly than my painfully slow typing(which wasn't any faster when I had the use of my hands). I'm one lucky primate to have such a vast array of technology and technique available. As I work toward recovery and independence I'm always on the lookout for tricks and trinkets to help me be more productive.

1 comment:

  1. very cool keep thinkin. Plan on getting out when I get back I want to see that new ride.

    ReplyDelete