Sunday, October 23, 2011

October 23, 2011

Entering through the front door at Intrepid Equipment, Carl and I found ourselves in a jungle of chromoly steel, aluminum, and rubber. We visited this local builder of hand cycles a few days ago and met with the founder Graham Butler. Numerous bicycles, recumbent tricycles,and wheelchairs of various shapes, sizes, and configurations were shoe-horned into the office-cum-workshop. The sounds and smells of a metal fabrication shop filled the air and as we made our way further into the facility, I couldn't help but recall the droid recycling plant in "The Empire Strikes Back". After touring the shop and meeting the crew, I knew I had come to the right place to find a hand cycle. We spent the next hour pouring over catalogs, selecting the components, gearing, tires, and other equipment that would make this machine work for me and my capability/disability. Committed to fitting his clients with the right equipment, Graham even offered to set up a similar demo bike and invited me back for a test ride later this week. Thoroughly geeked out on bike stuff, I left excited and anxious to ride the rig we had just brainstormed into existence.

The portent of returning to cycling lifts my spirit and I thank those responsible: the family and friends who supported my cousin Lori Ervin's running of the Chicago Marathon for my benefit. You are providing me with a piece of equipment that will greatly improve my physical fitness, mental health, and overall quality of life.

Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Graham's bike shop sounds amazing. I am so happy you found them and cannot wait to hear about your new ride and impending adventures. Adam and I look forward to getting out to SD and biking with you.

    ReplyDelete