Sunday, October 9, 2011

October 9, 2011

Congratulations and heartfelt thanks to my cousin Lori Ervin! Running the Chicago Marathon for my benefit, Lori CHARGED it and finished in 3:59:36. NICE! To the generous donors who supported Lori's monumental effort: thank you! Your kindness motivates me to work hard toward recovery so that I can once again be active and enjoy athletic pursuits.

I rode a hand cycle for the first time yesterday. San Diego Parks and Recreation hosts regular rides at numerous city parks and I'm glad to see our tax dollars at work in this program. The friendly and helpful staff shows up with a truckload of bikes and disabled riders are given an opportunity to try the totally awesome sport of cycling. I pedal a hand cycle frequently in the gym but, as is frequently the case, the real thing is a different animal. Despite my miserable performance, I was elated to once again pedal along the shoreline of Mission Bay. I look forward to getting onto a cycle set up for my specific condition, dimension, strengths, and weaknesses. Before long I'll be listening again to the sweet music of fat tires on dirt. Thank you Charlie and Gaen for your help to/from the bike! I hope your backs aren't too sore.

MAHALO
Berkey

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eric,
    You continue to be an inspiration. Doug and I are supremely happy to read of your continued ongoing positive strides in your new lifestyle. Thank you for continuing your blog. It not only inspires it offers a unique look in to the ups and downs of someone with your kind of injury. We are now keenly aware of any news and or articles relating to spinal cord injuries and the possibilities of stem cell research.

    I was tickled to read your comments on your latest outings to parks/museums/ events. Think of it this way; before injury you were one great guy. Post injury you're one great well rounded guy! :))

    All the best to you and your family as we enter this glorious autumn season.

    Warmly,

    Lori Williams

    ReplyDelete