Thursday, October 6, 2011

October 5,2011: SD Zoo's Safari Park

"NOT RECOMMENDED FOR WHEELCHAIRS" warned the sign, but nothing would keep us from descending the path into Tiger Territory. Our descent from Condor Ridge had gone well and
I was feeling confident in the power-assist wheels and Sara's helping hands firmly planted on the push-grips of my chair. We managed the steep section smoothly,and though no tigers were visible in their paddock, we coasted through the Roar n' Snore campground and arrived victorious at Lion Camp.
As I adjust to life in a wheel chair, I find myself seeking "accessible" activities. Prior to my injury, trips to museums, theme parks, and sporting events were seldom as free time was normally spent on (or off) a trail, underwater, or in the snow. Of course, adaptive sports equipment will enable me to enjoy a form of my favorite avocations, but I can't exactly hop onto a hand cycle and go for a ride on a whim- those types of outings now require planning and assistance from people who know how to deal with my particular challenges and the specialized equipment needed.
I can, however, easily enjoy many of San Diego's myriad attractions with the aid of one companion. Load me in the van, strap me down, and we're off to a museum, airshow, or football game. I look forward to these outings with the anticipation of a sixth-grader going on a field-trip. Of course, none of these trips could happen without the time and effort of numerous, selfless family and friends, to whom I am deeply thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment