Thursday, December 15, 2011

December 14, 2011

My first visit to the stem cell clinic! It felt strange to cross the border into Tijuana and not head west on the toll road to Ensenada, my historically frequent destination for yacht delivery and repair calls. Yesterday, my friend Dave and I headed southeast on Paseo de Los Heroes to Hospital Angeles, home of the Regenerative Medicine Institute (RMI). My appointment for electromyography and blood testing served two purposes: the tests were required as part of my application for treatment, and it provided me an opportunity to inspect the facilities first-hand and meet the medical team that would potentially treat me with stem cell therapy.

When I first considered the notion of seeking medical treatment in "TJ", I had visions of waking up on the operating table to find a fresh scar across my side as I watched my kidney being carted off to the black market of vital organs. As I researched the clinic further, my fears of being taken advantage of by charlatans and snake-oil salesmen eased. A number of affiliations with US medical schools, biotech firms, and accrediting organizations had me feeling more convinced of the clinic's legitimacy. RMI has subjected itself to institutional review, site audits, and continuing oversight by the International Cellular Medicine Society, a US-based non-profit working toward the advancement and standardization of cell-medicine.

Now that I've seen the hospital and clinic, which appear perfectly modern, clean, and well-equipped, and I've met the medical professionals who will treat me (most of whom speak fluent English), I'm ready to pull the trigger. I understand that there are risks involved and that there is no guarantee of success, but the possibility of increased recovery is worth it to me. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment