Thursday, March 3, 2011

3/3/2011 - Speed bumps in the road to recovery

Haven't updated the blog in a while because of a minor medical issue. I began having fainting spells last weekend that were confusing the hospital staff and myself of course. Initially we thought it was orthostatic hypotension which is a drop in blood pressure common to SCI patients that when transitioning from the horizontal to vertical position can happen. But it wasn't long before we realized that I was suffering from a bleeding ulcer in my GI tract that resulted in significant blood loss. So, they first transfused 6 units of blood into me and then performed endoscopy which confirmed that it was a duodenal ulcer (exit point of the stomach). No further treatment was necessary for the ulcer as it was already healing. the suspected cause of the ulcer was the combination of steroids and blood thinners that have been pumped into me for the last month. Normally they wean you off the steroids, but due to the ulcer they cut me off cold turkey. They also had to cut the blood thinners. Due to the risk of blood clots without blood thinners, they installed a inferior vena cava filter, which is comparable to the frame of a tiny umbrella that is placed in the largest vein in the body.


I missed out on a few days of therapy, but things seem to have stabilized and I got back to therapies today.
Any complaints that I may previously had about the food in the hospital now have been retracted from being on a clear liquid diet for the past 4 days. I'm now back to a normal diet again!
Thanks again for continued kind thoughts!
Best regards,
Eric
(typed by Molly)

9 comments:

  1. Lynell and I had a wonderful visit with you while in San Diego. I very much enjoyed meeting Dan and esp your father as well as seeing Molly again. It was obvious how close your family is and how special your relationships are. Bob and I will miss the boat but not as much as we will having you at the helm and watching your paint balling. I am sorry we have to sell such a fabulous fishing yacht. :-(. We had heard you were doing your therapy 150% and we know you will be right back at it despite the setback...you are one tough dude :-). LOL Annette & Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, we are so thankful you are in good hands and the bleeding was caught/stopped....6 units is a lot of blood! We are in awe that you went through all this since the last post and are already back in pt! You are awesome...tons of love and healing energy is being sent west (let us know when we can throw in a pizza with that delivery)! xo janice and adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to here your back on real food and back at your therapy. I guess that means you' back to mending. Great keep mending looking forward to getting out to our next adventure. We'll be up to see you again soon Stu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're back on the mend and enjoying real food again. Now then, quit coming up with elusive maladies to confuse the docs and get back to cranking on the PT! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eric,

    So sorry to hear of your recent stomach issues--the last thing you need as you focus on recovery! Glad to hear you are on the mend. We pray for you every day and will continue to do so!
    All our love from Michigan,
    Jacquie, Bill and Meghan Bluethmann (Goetz) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eric,
    So sorry to hear about the set back. I am sure that was the last thing you needed to deal with! It sounds like you are making great progress in therapy. I am sure it is hard to always give it your all. We are cheering you on the whole way.
    Much love,
    Lori & the rest of the Ervin family in Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy Captain BerkSki!
    Now that I'm getting caught up on your current condition and coming out of my shocked, dazed and confused phase (Holy SchizzzzNizzzle Boy Wonder!), I'm thinking we're gonna have to put some serious effort into your rehab to get you back on SKIS and doing the SCUBA dooba thang! When can we start with the dancing girls anyways????
    Game On!
    Gaen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Eric,
    Thanks for the update! Good to hear the setback is under control and you are back into the mending mode. Stu and I plan to visit you Wednesday afternoon after 4pm this week. I hope that works. Chocolate chip cookies sound good? Lot's of love to you, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Eric,
    I'm glad that you are on the right track again in the healing process. We are all so proud of you and your determination. Keep it up!
    With love,
    Erin (McCullough) Durren

    ReplyDelete