Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wednesday the 23rd Occupational Therapy

Today the OTs (occupational therapists) worked with me on self care.  I actually shaved myself with minimal bleeding, and also brushed my own teeth.  These tasks are accomplished with a device known as a "universal cuff" which is basically a velcro strap that goes around my hand and has loops and pockets to secure razor handle, toothbrush handle, etc.  OT's main goal is to teach me skills to enable me to be more independent in caring for myself as everyday tasks that I had always taken for granted are far more challenging in my new situation. 
I am currently dictating this post, while getting a manicure from Molly (sister). 
I can't express my gratitude enough for Charlie, Molly and Dan Foley and all that they do for me.  I don't know how I would get through this without them.
I appreciate everyone's well wishes and positive vibes.  I know it all adds up and I need all the help that I can get. 
Thank you all!!

8 comments:

  1. Plz keep the updates coming... Im thinking about you. Ill be back in SD in a few weeks and hope to see ya. Justin James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Berkey,
    You are constantly in my thoughts, and I can't wait to come and see you! Stay strong and keep positive thoughts!! I have to say that the blog about the teeth brushing made me smile ear to ear!!
    Love always, Corey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric!!

    Your most likely one of the most mentally toughest persons I have yet to meet and your lust for life, family, and friends is quite contagious. Your going to get through it. I hope to see you before the year is up to exchange a few good stories and laughs. Sending my love and warm thoughts across the Atlantic. Miss you and your family...

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shaving without any nicks?? You're doing better than Doug! :)) It's wonderful to read your blogs Eric. We wish you every strength as you continue with your rehabilitation. Without a shadow of a doubt we know you will rewrite the code for life post trauma. Our admiration for your courage is immeasurable. With warm regards once again from the Pacific Northwest! Lori and Doug Williams

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so great to see you Eric! Your determination is palpable and your progress is such a welcome sight. "Steady on" my friend. Your Sharp program sounds outstanding and your family... they are over the top!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update Eric! Glad to hear you are making progress! Thinking about you daily and sending positive thoughts your way from Michigan!-

    Jacquie (Goetz) Bluethmann and family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was good to hear of your progress with the occupational therapy.I so admire your efforts.
    The help of Molly, Charlie, and Dan is wonderful. I just wish we could be there to lend a hand. The prayers keep coming for you.
    Love,
    Aunt Mary Kay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Eric,
    Let's see if I've figured out how to post to your Blog. I hope to come visit next Weds. I know Stu mentioned it to you and I hope it will work out. I know you will keep up the hard work ,that is who you are. Sending healing vibes and positive thoughts your way always. Denise

    ReplyDelete