Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 14, 2011

When my PT told me we were going bowling on our weekly community outing, I envisioned broken toes (not that I'd feel them) and wheelchair wreckage sliding down the lane. As it turns out, quadriplegics can bowl safely after all. The bowling alley provided us with ramps which we aimed and then pushed the ball down to an agonizingly slow roll toward the pins. Fortunately, the gutter rails were raised, enabling the ball to pinball its way to the pins and a guaranteed knock-down of at least one pin. I bowled a 79, which isn't much worse than my scores were when I was able-bodied...maybe I should have been bowling this way all along.

It looks like I'll be discharged Monday, May 16 and returning to San Diego! I'm looking forward to going home and being close to family and friends. It's been a productive month up here in Pomona but I am definitely ready to get back to home turf.

Keeping it between the gutters,
Berkey

3 comments:

  1. Eric, It's inspiring to see your positive attitude and hard work in rehab, buddy! If you're up for it, I'd like to come visit you sometime soon.

    Thinking of you bro,
    Corey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric,
    Glad to hear you are back down in San Diego. I'm getting my new knee on Monday the 23rd so I won't be able to visit for a little while. Hopefully Stu can get by. Loved reading about your bowling adventure. XOXO Denise

    ReplyDelete